Issues With Characters and spawning! (HELP!)

(MDev) #1

Ive tried to fix this issue for a few days now, (Unity 5.3.4) and nothing has worked. I have the character set up 100% properly, and I have a spawn point set up for the character to spawn. The camera loads, but the player never appears. Is this an issue with my Cube I have them trying to spawn on? Is it possible somebody can link me a tutorial? I cannot seem to find ANY, even for other subjects and issues surrounding UniRPG Free.

(Marshall Heffernan) #2

uniRPG was released June 2013, if I remember correctly.

There was a forum (prior to moving to this forum- Discourse), with a few guides, information and discussions, however that was over three years ago.

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend reading through all of Daniel Harratt’s written guides, and checking out his videos on the Lucious Games Youtube Channel.

When was your Player spawn working last? What are you doing differently? Was it a Unity update that made this happen?

I’d certainly start by testing the spawn away from anything else, just to see.

The Player prefab never appears in the Hierarchy? Could it be possible that the Player does spawn, but the camera isn’t attached?

(MDev) #3

Thanks For The Quick Response,

The player spawn was never working in the first place. I am very new and I was trying to figure it out on my own.

I have removed and restarted Unity, and redownloaded UniRPG. For the new character, I have Made a Cylinder into a prefab and added the “Player” Component in the UniRPG section, (Character2). I Refreshed the Actors tab, and Placed ONE player spawned with the “Player Spawn” box checked. When I hit play and select my character, shouldn’t it spawn? And yes I have the Spawned ABOVE the Cube that I have placed.

Ok, I am hitting Play Now. (On The UniRPG toolbar)
The Cube has a box Collider.

*Splash Screens
*New Game
*Save Slot 1
*Selected Character, Hitting Start

No player Appears. I Check the console…
5 Errors:
1:You need to define a Player Character and Refresh the cache in Database -> Main -> Actors. Play testing will fail.

2:You need to define a Player Character and Refresh the cache in Database -> Main -> Actors. Play testing will fail.

3: Could not find a default player character. There must be at least one Actor (PlayerCharacter) set as 'Avail at Start’

**I get this one, so I Check the box that says “Available at start” on the spawn point and hit refresh.

4: InvalidOperationException: This cannot be used during play mode, please use SceneManager.LoadScene()/SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync() instead.
UnityEditor.SceneManagement.EditorSceneManager.OpenScene (System.String scenePath, OpenSceneMode mode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorSceneManagerBindings.gen.cs:30)
UniRPGEditor.UniRPGEditorGlobal.OpenScene (System.String name) (at Assets/UniRPG/Editor/Scripts/UniRPG/UniRPGEditorGlobal.cs:1572)
UniRPGEditor.UniRPGEditorGlobal.OnUpdate () (at Assets/UniRPG/Editor/Scripts/UniRPG/UniRPGEditorGlobal.cs:793)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorApplicationBindings.gen.cs:217)

5: The Character (Player) does not have a Movement Control.
UniRPG.Chara2_Base:Start() (at Assets/UniRPG/Default Assets/Character2/Scripts/Controllers/Chara2_Base.cs:51)
UniRPG.Chara2_Player:Start() (at Assets/UniRPG/Default Assets/Character2/Scripts/Controllers/Chara2_Player.cs:50)

I am just starting off with Game Development, and this seemed like a great asset to use to start up my game. Within the first hour, I see now that I have encountered Issues not common or not relevant because of the lack of information when searching google.

(Marshall Heffernan) #4

The documentation is actually really thorough.

Have you read through it yet?

Edit: also, while developing in unity, only look at the top error. Most often, when you fix the top error, the rest will go away.

It looks like your top error says you need to go to database > main > actors > refresh.

You’ve done that?

(Leslie Young) #5

Did you watch this yet?

(daniel harratt) #6

I have put up a few tutorials on the UNIRPG forum to help all the basic setups Characters, Mobs, Weapons and Spells…
If you follow them, and still have problems let me know and i`ll see if i can help out…

(MDev) #7

Thank you! I figured it out. I will watch some of the tutorials. You may see me again. :slight_smile:

(Marshall Heffernan) #8

Yesterday, I linked the old documentation page for uniRPG (HERE).

Check out the new documentation page for uniRPG (HERE)!

It’s easier to navigate and has drop-down menus on the left side of the screen. I’d definitely recommend checking it out.