Looking into buying MapNav 2 - Questions

Hi there. I’ve been scouring the Unity store for something that can help me get into making a Turn Based Strategy game and I came across MapNav. I’m more of an artist, but can do some programming if need be, so I had some questions before putting down money on the asset. (I tried searching the forums as much as possible so sorry if I accidentally post a question already answered.)

1. I’m pretty sure I’ve read this already, but I can import a 3D map, and lay a grid on top of it using MapNav correct? So for example, I created a map akin to Final Fantasy Tactics with height, slopes, etc, I could just lay a map on top of it and configure the nodes accordingly?

2. Can MapNav create nodes that are on top of each other? So if a map had a balcony or porch where objects could walk under and stand on top of, is that something that’s native to the asset or something that I’d have to figure out? Or even something like ladders that go from one level of a room to another?

3. How non-programmer friendly is it? I saw from some videos that a lot of the scenes that come with the asset are heavily commented, which is great. I mostly use PlayMaker as means to get things working and the most complicated thing I’ve programmed is a player controller in C# and a circle shader. Questions will probably be asked if I get stuck figuring out the asset.

4. Is it also safe to assume that MapNav takes care of just things concerning the nodes and pathing? So things like implementing turns or interrupting objects mid movement would have to be figured out on my end.

I think that’s everything I need to ask. Hope it’s not too much or that I asked something already answered.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

(Leslie Young) #2

can import a 3D map, and lay a grid on top of it

Yes, the MapNav grid is independent of your art.

Can MapNav create nodes that are on top of each other

You would have to create a second MapNav grid to overlap the 1st. There is no special handling of linking two maps though. You could create and add a script on the map objects where you can add data related to how something gets to the higher floor, perhaps what node a stairway starts/end on for example. It would be quite a bit of work if you had to deal with places a unit can jump up or down.

How non-programmer friendly is it

Though the editing of the map is done with tools in the editor this was made more for coders.
I do comment heavily and have 6 examples to show various things like selecting and moving objects placed on the grid.

Is it also safe to assume that MapNav takes care of just things concerning the nodes and pathing

Yes. You would for example receive a path a unit can move and then do with that whatever you want. If you occupy tiles as you move the unit along you could technically get it to block a unit moving at the same time and then recalculate a path for that unit. It is best used for turn-based games where you will not have this issue though.

Great! Thanks for getting back to me with those questions. Greatly appreciate it!