Ninelives - a Unity RPG

(Marshall Heffernan) #1

Disclaimer: I didn’t make this, I just wanted to share it.

I’ve been watching the development of this game very closely for several years now.

Ninelives (formerly “Project Kyrill”) is being developed by SmokymonkeyS, a two man team.

They’ve been working on this Unity RPG for over 7 years and just yesterday they put their game online for Open Alpha testing.

They’ve coded everything from scratch using Javascript, but I’d like to think that with enough hard work, time and dedication, plyGame is more than capable of making something as incredible as this.

Watching their Trailers on Youtube fills me with inspiration as a young Developer, and I encourage you to watch their videos as well as try out their game during this Open Alpha.

Seeing other people’s work in Unity fills me with motivation and I hope we can all, as a community, continue to learn and grow as Developers and Designers this year in 2016.

Ninelives website

(Helgard de Barros) #2

I think a good thread with a discussion on the game design and development process might be a good idea.

I think the problem with taking 7 years to make a game is that by the time you release the game, the technology has moved so far ahead that the game will feel dated by default because it is built on a seven year old architecture. I think if you are a small team, or a one man team, it might be better to make a smaller, less ambitious game, that you can develop in two years or less, and hopefully on a platform like Unity, that gets updated, and doesn’t show the age of the architecture.

I was watching the development of another game that the makers eventually had to scrap, because their engine, by the time they got to the alpha stage, was 8 years old and looked it, and other games in a similar style had just far surpassed what they were trying to achieve.

I think when making an indie game with a small team, it is important to set a deadline and release date, and to tailor your game and ambitions to be completed within the time frame, both to prevent your game becoming obsolete in technical terms, and to prevent yourself from babbaging the project. (adding to the project on a continual basis so that you never actually finish it).

(Leslie Young) #3

game will feel dated by default because it is built on a seven year old architecture

If it is very stylised then they can get away with it. That video looks pretty good. The character animations seems a bit stiff though, but even the animations in Shroud of Avatar is meh (but that game is still in dev so it might improve).

[edit] Cool, there is an open alpha. Wanna check this out.

(Helgard de Barros) #4

If it is stylised you might get away with it, and obviously this won’t be as noticeable on things like side-scrollers or 3D isometric games, applies more to 3rd and first person games, but a long development cycle might bring other problems. If you start a game now to work on Windows 10 and Unity 5, and you take 7 years to make it, you will have to problem of having to constantly update your code/systems to work on new versions of Windows and Unity.

When I started in this industry the standards were object files and BVH motion files instead of FBX, bump and displacement maps instead of normal maps. All I meant was that a long development cycle might leave your core assets and systems incompatible with new technology and systems.

(Terry Morgan) #5

Has anyone played this?

(Terry Morgan) #6

I played it (not multiplayer) it’s nice looking but kind of primitive conversation-wise.