Questions before buying

(Chanan Eli) #1

Hi
I’m thinking about buying TileEd, but I have some questions

1. If I make a big level, will all the tiles load at once when the level starts or does it load dynamically as the camera moves around the level? It would be nice if the level was split into chunks that were loaded as needed.

2. Will any custom scripts I have on my prefabs carry on to the level?

3.If I change a prefab will that affect an already placed tile?

1. Are the tiles always under the TileEd game object or can they be moved out? Can I create a level with TileEd and then remove TileEd from the project, but keeping my level as “loose” GameObjects?

2. Why not provide source code? This is my biggest hesitation for buying this asset. If you stop supporting it at some point, then I may be stuck with non-functioning asset that is vital for my game, without any way of fixing it myself.

Thanks in advance, the asset looks very promising

(Leslie Young) #2

big level

TileEd simply helps you place objects. So the scene ends up being the same as if you placed all those tiles by hand. If it is big you will want to set up Unity’s occlusion culling to deal with objects that are not visible.

Will any custom scripts I have on my prefabs carry on to the level

Yes, it should since TileEd simply instantiate the provided prefabs in the scene.

If I change a prefab will that affect an already placed tile?

Prefab links are kept so it should not be a problem.

Are the tiles always under the TileEd game object or can they be moved out

You could move them if you do not plan on editing the map further. They must stay the same way TileEd placed them for TileEd to be able to add/remove objects correctly.

Why not provide source code

Source is available on request. I want to keep the distribution clean for those who only care to use it as an editor tool that they do not need to know how to modify. The source for runtime part is provided in the package in case you want to learn about loading the TileEd map assets.