Why VN Engine for BGS rather than Vinoma?

(Carine Rousseau) #1

Hello,

Given that if we want to play our game in VN Engine for BGS rather than Vinoma, we must start again, I would like to be sure of my choice. So I have two questions:

• Does VN Engine for BGS currently have all the functions in Vinoma?
  • What are the benefits of using VN Engine for BGS instead of Vinoma?

Thank you

(Leslie Young) #2

FlowGraph, which is the main thing used to build story in Vn Engine, is much more dynamic. Vinoma is very linear and you have probably noticed how hard it can be to branch based on player choices and other variables.

The only things missing from Vn Engine (that Vinoma has) currently is saving (being implemented this week), Log and the hotspots overlay (all of which will be added). It already has more options in other areas, like image overlays, and more options when building logic for the flow of the story via FlowGraph nodes present in in BGS core system.

Check out the videos. It is probably the best way to see how it is used and whether it might be a workflow that will benefit or include features you can use. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuaBtUXEKcdK9UtD8rx3tYMfLzPRawwOV

(Carine Rousseau) #3

Would we have inventory and quests ?
Would we mix RPG elements and VN elements ?

(Leslie Young) #4

When I get started on an RPG plug-in I will be working on things like Inventory and Quest tracking. I will have to see whether these systems become part of the BGS core or a a plug-in (like the RPG one for example) when I work on them .It all depends on what systems they might require to function. I’d obviously want to make them part oft he core systems as far possible so that other plug-in can reuse these kinds of systems.